Enjoy local life and real gastronomy for your unforgettable Sicilian Local Food experience in a territory off the beaten track on the slope of Madonie Mountains.
· Off the beaten track experience
· Visit an archaeological treasure
· Harvest and collect fruits, vegetables and eggs at farmhouse
· Bread demonstration
· Home-cooked lunch in picnic style with “zero food miles”
· Interact with local people and observe artisans at work
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
Departure for a small village off the beaten path located on the slope of Madonie Mountains. This day will be a unique experience, something that will show you the essence of Sicily, a plunge in a rural and friendly atmosphere, a return to the past by visiting places where time has stopped centuries ago! Upon the arrival we visit a diary producer to learn how milk is processed for cheese production and here you will have the opportunity to taste various types of dairy products of the highest quality.
Later (weather conditions permitting) we will drive to the “Grotte della Gurfa” an archaeological treasure, a place veiled with magic and mystery, where we will be taken to a trip back into the past centuries. The Caves of Gurfa are a precious example of rock architecture. Probably dated from the Bronze Age, studies on the ancient use of caves, entirely excavated by man, are still underway, but it is deemed to be used as storage area for grain. Some scholars instead postulate that the whole complex had been built to accommodate the remains of the King Minos who, according to legend, died in Sicily.
Then we drive to a local farmhouse where we will be welcomed by a young farmer that will give us the opportunity to harvest fruits and vegetables of the season, to collect fresh eggs from the hen house, to see Bread preparation and make an “arrustuta” (barbecue) of delicious local meat. We will then enjoy a nice home-cooked lunch in picnic style with “zero food miles” in a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. After lunch we will drive to Alia, a nice village to have an amazing experience based on the interaction with local people and observe artisans at work.
Later back to Palermo.
HOW TO REACH THE SICILIAN VILLAGE:
You can reach the Village by private vehicle or by train. Following you will find some details about the different options. Please share with our Booking Staff your preferences.
- By private vehicle: an Italian speaking Driver will pick you up directly at your Hotel in Palermo and will transfer you to the Village. Once arrived at destination all the activities will be done with English speaking Staff. At the end of the tour the Italian speaking Driver will transfer you back at your Hotel in Palermo.
Approx. driving time one way from Palermo to the Village: 1 hour and half.
- By train: reach on your own Palermo rail station and catch your train. Our English speaking Staff will be pleased to meet and greet you directly at the Village as soon as you get off the train. Our Booking Office You will give you all details about train tickets and how to reach the rail station.
Approx. time one way by train from Palermo to the Village: 1 hour.
TOUR CODE: PMOSIK